Here is a brief walkthrough of how Encrypted LVM works on boot.
- The /boot partition is mounted.
- The /boot partition attempts to mount the physical volume for encryption (crypto-disk).
- The system asks the user for their password.
- Upon entering a successful password, the Logical Volume Manager takes over and mounts the / (root) and swap partitions.
- The system continues the boot process.
- When the system is shut down, the filesystems are all unmounted.
- The root and swap partitions cannot be mounted/decrypted without the proper password, keeping your data secure.
If you've ever wanted to get started building a server, right in your own
backyard, kitchen, closet, mother's closet, mother's basement, then this is
the read for you. Aimed at the not-so-technical-but-willing-to-learn, this
will give you everything you need to build... that monster-server you've
dreamed of. My goal: To give you a working, rocking server, for free, that
you can use daily.